View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Daniel, +1000 for getting recycling in place! We will really need this in CM 10 at Area BFE as well.

I did some browsing at moab-solutions.org. I think this might be worth focusing on.

Links promoted on the website (emphasis mine), Recommended Websites to Visit:
Lots of decent links we would support. But among them,
Quote:
Red Rock Forests
Located in Moab, Utah, Red Rock Forests strives to protect the sky-island mountains and plateaus above America's Redrock Wilderness in southern Utah, emphasizing the La Sal Mountains, Abajo Mountains, and Elk Ridge in the Canyonlands Basin. They recognize the vital ecological role these ranges play in sustaining Utah's desert wildlife and waterways. For this reason, ecology is their guiding principle, though they use education, public policy, the law, citizen action, and collaboration with other organizations and agencies to achieve protection for these irreplaceable high desert oases.
http://www.redrockforests.org
Lots of admirable things there, that I am sure we can support. However, from their newsletters:
Quote:
Off-road vehicles that stray from trails are doing immense damage to the state, said Gov. Jon
Huntsman Jr., who has directed state officers to begin cracking down.
"It's an abomination, it's an embarrassment," the governor said Wednesday during a meeting with
The Salt Lake Tribune editorial board.
Huntsman said that he recently visited the area around Moab with David Bonderman, a prominent
venture capitalist and major financier for the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance
, to see the damage
done by illegal off-road travel.
"I wanted to get a sense of what the concern was, and it became a concern to me," he said.
You think he got a true overview? Or was the damage preselected? Of course it was - the worst of the worst, not the results of responsible users and restoration. We should be VERY concerned about SUWA having the ear of the governor. You can bet WE DO NOT. But Red Rock Forests presents the story sympathetically.
Quote:
This fall the Moab Ranger District of the Manti-La Sal National Forest will be evaluating trail usage and
possible trail expansion in several 'open' travel areas of the La Sals. This process is open to the public in a
number of ways--more information on this can be found at www.redrockforests.org/la_sals.htm--and you,
yes you, should consider it an opportunity to interact directly with your public lands. Trails don't decide
usage themselves. People decide usage, and though statewide the number of non-motorized trail users in
national forest areas is far greater than the number of motorized trail users, the latter are just really good
at interacting with this particular democratic institution.
ORLY? Who has the most money devoted to this cause? Who has the most lawyers? "Quiet Use" users are far from the underdogs here.
Quote:
ORV (off-road vehicle) users frequently create
their own trail systems, and then they push for these user-created trails to become legitimized by the
Forest Service. Non-motorized users need to be increasingly vocal to preserve their quiet brand of recreation.
Yep... that is where ALL OF THE ROUTES AROUND MOAB CAME FROM- legitimization of user-created routes. That is how it is done when it starts out 'open unless posted closed' and goes to 'no cross country travel, closed unless posted open'. They would deny preserving trails where land designation changes. This is more 'Quiet Use' stuff. While we can certainly support responsible use, this perspective would close all OHV routes if they could. (oh, and BTW, where ORV is used instead of OHV, the content is virulently negative toward OHV use over 90% of the time. We do not travel off road)

Along with preserving wild places from extraction development, Red Rock Forests advocates for trail closure, and attempts to organize green activists against our input. Just read the Summer 2008 Newsletter for yourself.
Quote:
Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA)
The mission of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA) is the preservation of the outstanding wilderness at the heart of the Colorado Plateau, and the management of these lands in their natural state for the benefit of all Americans.

SUWA promotes local and national recognition of the region's unique character through research and public education; supports both administrative and legislative initiatives to permanently protect the Colorado Plateau wild places within the National Park and National Wilderness Preservation Systems, or by other protective designations where appropriate; builds support for such initiatives on both the local and national level; and provides leadership within the conservation movement through uncompromising advocacy for wilderness preservation.
http://www.suwa.org

Wildlands CPR
This is the only national conservation group in the U.S. that specifically targets off-road vehicle abuse of public lands and actively promotes wildland restoration, road removal, the prevention of new road construction, and limits on motorized recreation. Learn more about them on their website.
http://www.wildlandscpr.org
Those speak for themselves.

I would be extremely hesitant about committing any Rising Sun funds as donations to Moab Solutions. Getting them to set up recycling... absolutely. We are responsible and it is good PR and besides, it is the right thing to do.

But would you like to see pictures of Area BFE and Cruise Moab show up in anti-"orv" activist publications? Would it be presented fairly?

At the very least she needs to know that these sites are moderately to virulently anti-Rising Sun, from our perspective. She may not have connected the dots.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.