View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
I feel a little guilty about being involved with the jumping on the Chili to prevent a rollover, but I understand it's pretty much been a bad karma thing to do after the incident last year. But just a question that I think should be discussed before trail runs/driver's meetings etc. is what to do before an impending rollover and no strap is available to make a quick recovery? Do we need to be more prepared and have a strap out and attached when such a maneuver is likely? I'd like to see some discussion about this since it's been so common for people to jump on a truck on its way over that now that that's a no-no I think we should be prepared with another alternative in mind. Thoughts anybody?
There are a number of trails where a pre-strapping before a particular obstacle is obvious. Widow Maker on Metal Masher comes to mind. But Bill just took an odd line, I'm sure he wasn't expecting to do a wheel stand any more than we were. Actually, I've never seen anyone do that through that section. I even got a little tippy when I was trying to manuever behind Yuri as we were preparing to leave the garden. I just put it in reverse and went a different way.

You may recall I had to cut the driver's meeting short due to that lady trying to get past our line of rigs where we aired down. But there are ALWAYS straps available. A strap is just one of those essential pieces of equipment everyone should carry, and most of us always do. But like breakage, there is the potential for a flop on just about any trail, heck think of what happened to Yuri on that one section of easy trail. A moment of inattention and he was almost off the trail. Our hobby is inherently risky and we have to always be paying attention and think about the risks.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/