View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

My take:

1. How do I go about inspecting the alternator to find out if this is indeed the culprit of my problems? Detailed very well above. Napa can do it if you like, with a load test.

2. I don't have a multimeter. Last time I was at Sears, the prices ranged from $10 to $200. What functions do I need on a regular basis? I prefer to buy good tools that will last a long time and be accurate, so if the $90 meter will perform more accurately and reliably than the $10 tool, I'd prefer to buy the good one. However, I don't want to spend $200! Like Jeff says, you only need the most basic functions.

3. If the alternator is the problem, can I rebuild it rather than replace it? Yes, it's simple on a minitruck and I would expect it to be similar in an 80. I wrote this, which also covers replacing the brushes, a common issue and very inexpensive to replace. Not sure how much is directly comparable to FJ-land.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.