View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
CB's don't suck, they work exactly like an inexpensive 5 watt radio in low band frequencies are expected to work.
Sorry, but yeah they do suck comparatively. I was talking to Tallahassee, FL, on 5W just this afternoon on 20m (I was at 14.395MHz on SSB) using a Hamstick vertical (this is roughly the same height as a 5/8 wavelength bottom loaded CB antenna). I was also able to hear (but not work) Chicago, North Carolina and San Diego.

The mount for this antenna is about 2 feet to the right of the CB mount on my ARB. The QSO was friendly, to the point and very nicely free of cursing or talk of big breasts.

Edit: thinking about what I said. To be fair 20m propagation is different than 11m (or ham 10m & 12m for that matter) and the guy was running a beam and I assume quite a bit more power (it was a brief contact and I was mobile). So not apples to apples. Also my radio wasn't $50, but it's amazing what 20 years of development gets ya in a radio. If you break it down, it was about $40 per band of TX coverage... That thing, though, has a very sensitive front and most CBs just don't. They are cheap, but the MFJ single band 10 W SSB & CW radios that are common in QRP DXpeditions and SOTA aren't too expensive.

FWIW, I run a Uniden PC55, which is the pre-runner to the 520. Essentially the same guts. No complaints, works for what it is.
'91 Pickup - Imelda
'08 Tacoma TRD - Donna
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 05-16-2010 at 11:07 PM.