View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Yeasu ATAS-120A

I came across an ATAS-120A on Craigslist a few weeks ago and was going to buy it until the fella found it had failed. He was very polite about it and did not feel comfortable selling it at any price (I asked if he would sell it cheaper) until he figured out the problem.

He dropped me an email this morning and said he'd figured out what happened and repaired & rebuilt the antenna. Turns out the motor had failed, he bought a factory replacement from Yeasu and it checks out fine again. Problem is that things changed for me and I no longer am in the market for this (I actually found another one) and I am not buying it.

So I am passing it along because the ham was very easy to deal with and upfront. His name is Scott, NĜOBA. His email is n0oba1@comcast.net. He is using it with an Icom radio with an external controller, but is designed to interface directly with the Yeasu FT-857 and FT-897 with no additional hardware.

As a side note, I really like this antenna with my FT-857. It is very convenient. I thought seriously about the Tarheel and Groucho's Hi-Q, but in the end the Yeasu won out. Is it quite as good as the bigger boys? Nope, but it's a whole lot easier to use IMHO and looks a lot less offensive to the XYL in front of whom it's mounted out on the ARB. It really is less obviously a screwdriver antenna.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler