pulled the driveshaft, and allllll the noises went away. swapped in the recently rebuilt driveshaft from my 80 and her truck was good to go. So nice to have a "spare parts" truck lying around.
Never had a driveshaft on an 80 just make a ton of noise with no vibrations or other symptoms, but now I know. Thanks to all for your advice.
* 00 LC
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig (FOR SALE)
* 99 Saab Convertible
* 76 Piggie
* 97 4Runner (The original Green Chile)
* 71 FJ40 "The Raven" - sigh, selling to make room
* 64 FJ40 "Ocho Mater 40" AGAIN
* 74&70 FJ40 - parting out, eventually
* 1965 International Metro Van
has a 2008 FJC