View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Not insistant, just thinks that's what he wants.
Ah...I thought the same way and wish I would have listened to the more experienced HAMs in the club that suggested to get a good mobile rig first...I'd be $400+ richer right now

A HT is nice for around camp and ok for when you are on a run...After that, their limited power really makes you wish you had a mobile rig, at least for me.

For instance going to and from runs and to and from CM. Did that last year with the HT and try as I might while I could hear people talking away on the Colo Connection, I couldn't talk to anyone - This year with the FT-8800 I could talk with Nakman and Groucho on simplex while listening to, and occasionally talking with, someone on the connection in Denver while I was in Grand Junction or Glenwood etc. I couldn't even seem to hit the Colo Connection repeater in Grand Junction, while in Grand Junction, with the HT last year.

Maybe for JT having the reach isn't as important. The HT is handy for bringing inside or moving from vehicle to vehicle.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater