View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

I agree with Jeff all the way.

I have the VX-3r and an older HT with the FT-8800 mounted in my truck. Forget the 3r we already covered the limited range on it. Any HT you get is going to have 5 watts~ and if you hook it up to an external antenna a little better reception but not really that much more distance since it is still 5 watts.

A full size radio ranges from 35 to 75 watts, with a good antenna you can reach people on simplex 50-75 miles away. I reached YB on my radio in Roxborough (south west Littleton) while he was wheeling on Jenny Creek. Had I tried this with a HT it would never have reached.

Cost wise you are also better of with a hard mount. You can get a 2800 or 2900 for about $175 new, add an antenna for about $75 and you are set. Total cost about $250 give or take with tax.

Go the HT route $375 for a radio, $75 for antenna, $40 for a mike, $30 for a 12 v power supply, a case to keep it protected $30 and an extra battery if you want it but don't need it. Total about $550

Now if JT wants to move it from on to another vehicle he can still do that. Buy a mag mount antenna and a 12v adaptor plug plus an extra mount and you are done. Swap takes about ten minutes and the extra mount costs $4.50 from Yeasu.

Take it for what you will and I am sure you can find cheaper prices or more expensive, these are just the prices I saw when I was shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me