View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFA FJ40 View Post
Thanks for kudos on the Vid, it was my first with that cam.

I have an 1982 FJ40, my carb fan runs while I am driving, I can hear it while I'm idling sometimes. When I desmoged the rig, I made sure to keep the sensor that was attached to another piece of desmog equipment, I placed it relatively close to its original location (facing the exhaust manifold). All I can say is that I did not vapor lock on the trail and have never vapor locked, I have used low octane gas since I got the rig in mid 2009, the fan puts out plenty of air directly on the carb...don't know how well it works, but I doubt the Toyota engineers put a fan there just for visual aesthetics, they must have had some data feedback to come up with an idea of putting a carb fan. My 2 cents...
The introduction of the carb fan coincides with the introduction of the EGR system, which adds a lot of heat-radiating surface area on that side of the engine. The rail of the air injection system is another source of radiant heat. The earlier fans (like on my CA-spec. 1976 FJ40) were up in the front corner, pointed toward all the emissions crap on that side of the engine. The later ones on both 40s and 60s were pointed directly at the carb, and were much closer to the carb.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/