Thread: New to the area
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Rising Sun member

Also the Rollins Pass Road is a good scenic byway, just west of Rollinsville. Rampart Range Road west of Castle Rock is good, Boreas Pass...maybe start with some of these easier backroads to get a feel for the area.

I would recommend getting a couple of these maps as well:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=13365

I personally would start with the Pike National Forest, Arapaho/Roosevelt National Forests, and White River National Forest for stuff that's close by.

I would also recommend you get up to Rocky Mountain National Park in late September when the elk are bugling. It can get kinda busy, but it's fun to watch them. And you can take Fall River Road up to Trail Ridge Road and that's a good view. Also take a few hours and take the Mt. Evans toll road - it's paved but it's worth the view. So is Hwy 6 up Clear Creek Canyon from Golden, then up and over Loveland Pass to Silverthorne.

If you want to go a little farther, head out to Buena Vista and go up to St. Elmo. From there you could take Tincup Pass over to Taylor Reservoir, then back over Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista. You could also head up over Hancock Pass, check out the Alpine Tunnel, head down to Pitkin, and from there either head up over Cumberland Pass to Taylor Park again or head south back to Hwy 50 if you need to get home.

I also would recommend maybe heading out I-70 to Glenwood Springs, soaking in the hot springs pool, then heading down to Aspen and checking out the Maroon Bells, then heading back over Independence Pass (closed in winter, though it's paved) and making a good loop out of it.

Hope that helps, and welcome Come to a meeting sometime! And BTW, a lot of us shop at the local Toyota dealerships for parts, because they really do a pretty good job of taking care of us. Stevinson West, Boulder, Groove, and Go Toyota all have discounts for Rising Sun. For 4x4 stuff, Rockstomper is close to you, but of course Slee Off Road is a member of Rising Sun and has all the good stuff available . There is also High Country Performance 4x4.

Good to have you!
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD