View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've read that for some, bleeding the brakes is one of the few things the OCD crowd will let a dealership do

Matt, did you bench bleed the MC after you ran it dry or bleed it on the truck? Never done that and hope to never have to but the procedure in the FSM makes it look pretty benign.

I've been lucky so far on both the 80 and the LX. I had never bled brakes before until a couple years ago. I've finally gotten decent as using the Motive power bleeder (key is a REAL tight seal) and decided that everytime I bleed the brakes I'll do a flush at the same time because trying to judge how much fluid to put into the Motive is a useless exercise in futility.

That said, I'm with John that even a well bled 80's brakes aren't something you'll write home about

I've contemplated getting those Speed Bleeders to make the pump and let up method a one person operation. But I'm not sure how you monitor whether air is coming out or not sitting in the truck push the brake

I might have to try Corey's technique next time of "aiding" the Motive with an extra push of the pedal...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater