View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default 80 PS in a FJ-40

Ok, I know the rule; 33's or less - mini. 35's or larger - Saginaw. Now I know there are the few people that have ventured out and march to the beat of a different drummer and have done 60 PS in a 40.

Now I'm just spit balling here, but what about putting 80 PS in a 40? (I looked on the web and didn't find anything). I figure if I am going to do a PS conversion I should consider all possible options. Hell people are putting 45's on 80 frames, mixing and matching axles, and dropping 350's in Volvos. Don't even get me started on Red Chili.

I have not put a 60 and a 80 PS gearbox side by side (I have looked at various photos). Seems like the main differences would be the placement of the pitman arm, and the valve assembly. I assume the pitman could be clocked to a desired position. I figure the 80's PS gearbox would be stout in comparison to the 60's, as it is full time all wheel drive. 60 parts are getting harder to find and 80 parts are getting easier to find.

Again I'm just thinking out loud and wondering what people would see as possible barriers to a conversation of this nature, if any.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366