View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default middle st. vrain and coney flats

After the NSTBC breakfast on Friday John (snowrun) and I ran up canyon and did the Middle St. Vrain and Coney Flats trails.

It was a beautiful day, perfect weather, and after filling our stomachs with delicious breakfast and spending some time with excellent company, the trails were a great way to spend a few hours.

It started with a bit of trouble, leaving eggcredible, john's truck wouldn't shift into reverse, so axleike, john and I got him shoved out of the spot ... all the forward gears worked....

After a few minutes of driving around the transmission started cooperating, so we decided to go ahead and go for it ...

We started with Middle St. Vrain and were surpirsed to see the very first obstacle was a little tougher than we thought. We got through it, then watched a brand new cherokee go down through it in the opposite direction and tear up his running board and back bumper...

Coney Flats splits off from the st vrain trail about 1/4 a mile from the end of st vrain so we finished up st. vrain, parked, took some pictures, walked around a bit, there's a great bridge and some nice spots at the top.

We then turned around and started Coney Flats ... this was quite a bit tougher than st. vrain. It was a fun challenge. had to lock the rear in a couple spots to get through ... but nothing that picking a good line couldn't solve.

I think one of the best parts of these trails was all the water crossings, the lake at the top of coney flats was pretty low, about 3/4 tire at its deepest, but still cool.

enough words,
below are some pics

Towards the beginning of st vrain there was actually a spot on the trail that was deeper than the lake at the top of coney flats.

Name:  stv1.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  vraincross1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  105.6 KB

top of st. vrain from the bridge crossing the st. vrain:

Name:  stvraintop.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  101.7 KB