View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Red Cone and Radical Hill

Myself, Treeroot and Simps80 decided to make a run up Red Cone before it gets snowed in for the winter. The trail leading from County Road 60 up to timber line was absolutely gorgeous. The aspens have all turned yellow and the contrast against the blue sky was breath taking. The approach to Red Cone was dry and relatively easy. I was happy to have used the technique for descent I read in an old Larry Heck guide. The technique was to put it in 4 low and 1st gear than partially engage the emergency brake. Once we went down Red Cone we turned north towards Montezuma and then back south on Deer Creek rd toward the Swan River loop. As we approached the loop we decided we wanted to go to the top of Radical Hill and check it out. Only to find when we got to Radical Hill that I had blown a power steering line. It was a good time however as we repaired the split hose and all of the wheelers came off of Radical Hill and the mountain goats mingled amongst the Cruisers . We also were happy to see a fellow RS member Stonewall come up the trail and provide us with a bottle of power steering fluid.
He wanted us to make sure to say hi for him to Uncleben and Sharkbait. After completing the field repair the day was getting short so we changed plans and made the decision to exit via Radical Hill. The climb down was a bit challenging. The shelf road was a bit narrow in a few spots and rather tippy in others. I bet Treeroot takes off the roof top tent before he attempts that one again. All in all it was a great day with good friends and great trucks.
Attached Images

TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube