View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 80 Series Brake Issues

Looking for some technical expertise.

The sympton: On the 's 80, the brakes (hard to determine if it is front or rear) make the oh fun sound as if the pads are low and the wear indicator is rubbing. Started a couple weeks ago. Pulled all 4 tires and the pads are at 50% or better - Test drove the truck and no noise so put everything back together.

Drove the truck to Steamboat Friday and holy I finally hear the noise. Terrible noise that makes everyone stop and stare. But it comes and goes. Hitting the brakes doesn't really affect the noise nor does pulling on the parking brake. To add to this, every once is awhile, right as you come to a full stop the ABS activates and you get a little "dance" in the brake pedal right at the truck is almost stopped

I'm thinking maybe the pads are sticking on the slide pins or I have a sticking caliper/piston? I was planning on the Jenny Creek run today but instead I'm home fixing my junk

Anyone ever experience something similar and have some advice for me to try? I'll probably be in the garage all afternoon looking for something....
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater