View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

The current gen Tacoma uses one of two stick shifts, the R155 and the RA60.

The R155 is a 5-speed that continues the lineage of the R150 and R151, so I assume that existing bellhousings that adapt engine-to-tranny would work with it. But AFAIK this is only used on the 2TR-FE (4 cylinder) Tacoma. The first gen Taco used the W59 on the 3RZ, so Toyota is jumping back and forth it seems between the W and R series transmissions on the 4 cylinder. The earlier gens used the W56 with the exception of the R151F on the turbo 22R-TE. The V6 Hilux used the R150F.

The 6-speed is the RA60, which I know nothing much about. It obviously has the same bellhousing pattern as the A750 since they both bolt to the 1GR-FE. Not sure what else in the world might use this tranny, but surely it must be bolted to something else.

I think what most people are trying is the V160 or V161 6-speed from the Supra, since this has been around longer than the RA60 and RA61. That means there might be a bellhousing out there, either aftermarket or Toyota, that gets the right pattern. But that might be to mate it to something like a 1/2/3UZ-FE, which probably does not help get to a 2F. However if you want to put a 6-speed in a 100 series Cruiser, that's your ticket. The Supra V8 used the 2UZ I think.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein