View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Found out something I wanted to know about the hf2av

I had always wondered a bit how the full time case works in the 80's. Found this link while pokinng around the web for a post on mud. http://webpages.charter.net/raventai...20TRANSFER.pdf

If I read it correctly, since the LSD sits between the high/low speed output gears and the rear axle output shaft, its the front axle that has the "solid" connection back into the tranny/drivetrain.

The first thing I asked myself though after figuring it out was, why put it the LSD between the rear and the power input, instead of the front? The only thing I can think of is that the Park function would work without a rear DS, and the ebrake works on the rear brakes (obviously), meaning in park and with brake on you have 4 wheels stopping the car. Engineering++

Corey

(edit, I think the last statement may be a bit wrong, and would require both front and rear DS's to be on for the park to work correctly.)

Last edited by coax; 09-29-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Clarity, a bit wrong on one point.