View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Club Treasurer

Next we headed back up the road the way we had come, past our first campsite and north through Buckhorn Wash. This map shows the route and also our second campsite.

There are wild color variations in the rock around here.

Looking up a sheer wall in Buckhorn Wash.

Here is the pictograph panel in the wash. It's pretty cool.

The canyon is beautiful here.

Once we exited the top of Buckhorn Wash we headed up to The Wedge Overlook road, which turns south. The Wedge is mainly grassland with pinion pines and juniper. At the top of it you overlook the Little Grand Canyon.

It is a vast canyon and, once again, the San Rafael River runs through the bottom of it.

Then we headed back down onto The Wedge and scoped out the campsites. There are 10 campsites situated around this area, and there is no camping other than in the designated sites. We were going to camp by the canyon, but the wind was howling up out of it pretty heavily. We chose a spot away from the canyon amidst the trees.

This is the view west from camp where the forest fires south of Salt Lake City were making interesting colors in the sky.

Right after I took that picture my camera batteries died. Monday morning we headed home via the Green River Cutoff, which was another 30 or so miles of dirt to get back to a highway.

I can't wait to get back out and explore another chunk of the San Rafael Swell. It's incredible!

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune