View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
so what would be the best portable 2M antenna? Is it just a 5/8 wave stick with some radials for a ground plane or something different? Only reason I ask is because I made a J pole just because... I didn't do any research. When I did it was hard to find any real data.
It's a true dipole, each leg is 1/4 wavelength and the overall length is 1/2 wavelength. This was from technician class!!! ;-) Your J-pole is a 1/2 wavelength monopole with a 1/4 wavelength matching stub. Conceptually different types of antennas, although the principles remain. Nothing wrong with any of them, experimentation IS amateur radio. I stopped at Home Depot on the way home tonight and picked up a few bits. It occurred to me that the 3/4-1/2 part I need does come in brass, so I got a couple of them and was going to see how it might solder (doubtful). It might work, though, to drive the brass screws through the reducing bushing, which still accomplishes my goal of making the mating surface the electrical contact, too.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler