View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Wow, that looks like an easy solution. One question though: On the other thread they made a big deal out of the fact the steam vent need to bleed into the low pressure side of the radiator thus why they installed a bung right below the cap.

Using this adapter where the hose goes into the top of the radiator would put it on the high pressure side. But you say they used things like this on some of the stock LS applications?

My steam vent is hooked into the cooling system down low near the top of the water pump via a T fitting. But they say it should hook where the steam can go to the highest part of the system.
Some older corvettes had that Tee like Jags that run sells. It's an OEM part you can look up if you want to go that route, but I can't remember how I found it. I think it was labeled as a heater hose Tee but I am not sure....

Anyways, the Tee fits pretty close to the head tank so I can't imagine there is much of a pressure difference between it (in the upper hose) and the radiator cap.

There may be minute differences in pressure in the system, but for the most part it should all be about the same. I think the key is that the bubbles can flow uphill like you are saying.

One thing that really helped bleed my system was having a big functioning overflow bottle and a good radiator cap. The radiator cap should let air bubble out as the motor gets hot, and let the coolant be sucked back in as it cools. this kinda self bleeds the system once it is close.

Can you hear water rushing in the heater hoses? that's also a sign of air in the system... if there is no air in there the coolant rushing through the hoses should be pretty silent.

What radiator is it running? What thermostat?
82 FJ40