View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Isn't this what I said a few posts ago? Just sayin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
From the manual

S METER
While receiving, serves as an S-meter to measure and display the received signal strength. While transmitting, serves as a power meter plus an ALC meter, an SWR meter, or a Speech Processor compression meter. The Peak Hold function holds each reading for approximately half a second.

RF (RADIO FREQUENCY) GAIN
The RF gain is normally configured to the maximum level regardless of the operating modes. The transceiver has been configured to the maximum level at the factory. 1)However, you may decrease the RF gain slightly when you have trouble hearing the desired signal because of excessive atmospheric noise or interference from other stations. First, take note of the peak S-meter reading of the desired
signal.

Turn the MULTI control counterclockwise until the S-meter reads the peak value that you noted.

Signals that are weaker than this level will be attenuated and reception of the station will become easier.2) Depending on the type and gain of your antenna, and the condition of the band, adjust the RF gain. When using FM mode, always adjust the RF gain to the maximum level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
RF Gain is like your squelch on VHF. 1)As you adjust it (RF Gain) down, it squelches out (or quiets out) all but the strongest signals that can get past the S-meter setting which is directly related to your RF Gain setting. On my Yaesu FT-857D, as I adust the RF Gain up, the S-meter needle goes up from 0 incrementally. 2)If I set the RF Gain to where the S-meter is at S6, then only signals that my radio receives that are greater than S6 will be sent to the audio. Otherwise, they are muted. IMVHO, it is a great way to eliminate some of the "noise" associated with operating mobile.

I always get nose level with my vehicle's motor off. Once it is going, my usual S meter noise goes up to around S3. As I pass certain areas in my neighborhood or town, I get varying levels of noise, driving by lots of high power lines, places with a lot of Wi-Fi, etc. So I almost always keep my RF Gain at a level where only signals greater than S3 in strength will be heard. I had done a lot of work to my 80 to abate noise, and only on really bad propagation days do I need to open up the RF Gain more to even hear stations.

Keep the questions coming!

'73
Nathaniel
WIIN
Sheesh! If I was any closer to the text from the manual I would have to be called out on plagiarism!