View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Is it the real deal? Cool.
Yes, Its the real deal, with liner as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Let's nail down the place and attendees and then start an equipment list. The main concern obviously is a weatherproof operating commons area. A GP-small and my EZ-Up with tarp walls seems like a good start.

So, let's focus on location. Is camping OK? Wilderness isn't absolutely necessary, although I would like to get away from the city. I operate in town and honestly there's just so much QRM and QRN that I have a hard time getting excited about Cherry Creek SP.
As long as I don't have any issues attending, I will go anywhere within an hour of home. How about Cold springs campground? It has a good view south, east and somewhat west?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
Some thoughts on the subject:

I ran 1 Echo last year and had a blast. I spent more time on the air and covered more spectrum 'cuz the emphasis was on radio and less on camping but the spirit of FD was missing, it would have been a bit more interesting if I was 1 Alpha. I like operating on FD more for the volume of contacts rather than the contest aspect but I wonder if I could have had more QSO's if I was 1 Alpha. I *think* the point multiplier is higher for Alpha stations.

This year I'd like to split the difference. I don't mind pitching a tent, but having a few mod-cons would allow for more air time.

Setting up some place close to town would allow other club members a chance to come and go, for a few hours, as their weekend plans allow.

WiFi or a mobile hotspot, I used DX Sherlock last year to track propagation and was able to make some great contacts on 6 and 10 as the bands came up.

Trees, having a way to fly some wire w/o having to set up a bunch of masts would save time and frustration.

An amp would be great. I've only been able to brake a few pile-ups but I would love trying managing one OTOH having one only creates problems powering it up.

6 and 10, there is a rule change this year to encourage more VHF stations to get on the air. Last year I made contacts on 6 as far east as TN and OH and west to OR and CA. 10 was good to TX, CA and SD. Heather had fun making contacts on 6 and 10 as her privileges allowed. I'm thinking that having 1 rig dedicated to these upper bands would allow the Tech Class member of the club a chance to exercise their privileges.
We would have to limit our power to 5W or less to be Alpha. Unless I'm missing something.