View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Lifted

I'll give my 2 cents. I run a 5/8 Larsen dual band through the roof, best ground plane. My reasoning is I wanted every ounce of performance out of my rig as I frequently travel alone. My justification for getting into amateur radio in the first place was emergency communication. I just recently installed an antenna switch so I could use a 1/4 wave MJF mini mag mount for group runs in thick trail use and then take off the Larsen and cap the NMO. Not too much trouble IMHO. Just depends on your own circumstances and needs.

If you are in a valley and/or far from a repeater running your highest power could make the difference. Not a far fetched scenario in CO. I would match antenna power rating to the radio.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin