View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Put me in the agree with Christo camp.

I did the whole engine thing, which in the case of a 19 year old Hilux almost doubled what I'd spent on it. So 'upside-down' is sorta relative when the $5K, 90K-old used truck you bought gives you as the second owner another decade and 97K of service. I didn't mind spending the money I'd saved just driving it, in other words.

However, knowing now what I wish I did 5 years ago, I would have done a minimalist rebuild.

These are service and utility trucks, they're not gonna see Concours d'Elegance or collector auctions. Keep 'em running and reliable, no more, no less. I would in your situation just clean it up and put in a HG. I might refresh the head, but that depends on the shape it's in (mine needed it regardless that the timing chain let loose). I would rebuild the short block only if the rings had stopped sealing altogether or it was warped.
'91 Pickup - Imelda
'08 Tacoma TRD - Donna
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein