View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Good points! On example 2 what should have been a very quick trail repair to get it mobile turned into a nightmare. The combination of a very high rotated pinion and the vehicle pointed up a fairly steep slope made reassembly very difficult (nearly impossible). Added to the equation was the sub zero temperatures, snow on the trail that caused the repairing fools (Tim and I will forever be bonded ) to slide downhill easily, and working with moving flashlights from helpers turned the situation quickly into an extended ordeal for sure. Hindsight is easy to bring into perspective after the fact but the truth is every breakdown has many unseen variables that are easy to overlook. This is a great forum post as every situation will teach a lesson. Sharing those lessons with others might prevent frustrating similar situations in the future!
I got frozen hands that night too!

All in all, we did the repair as safely as we could, and didn't make the situation worse, so that is a huge plus. Hindsight is always 20/20 and it's always easy to second-guess gameplay decisions, so I guess that's what my post amounts to. Oh well, I remember a lot of laughs and an overall good mood, even as the clock ticked past midnight, so it couldn't have been that bad
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD