View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
The dealers do deal in reality. The books have not meant much for the last few years especially for used Toyota's. When I got out of the business most used Toyota's sold for retail book values at the wholesale auctions. That has not changed. Especially when production got dropped for a while due to the storm in Japan. While most Toyota's are built here in USA the power trains still are shipped for Japan.

The numbers I pulled were from actual wholesale transactions over the past 90 days. Only 23 base models went through Manheim nationwide. Think it was 7 LTD's Not not many. Often when I would pull those figures daily I would find double that is just our region on various vehicles.

I guess what I'm getting at is you will need to be patient to find that vehicle used in good condition for what you want to pay. IMO anyway from 6 years in the business.

Why not just get a new base model? If your planning to finance you'll see a better rate on new and warranty. If this is a cash transaction then I understand.
I ended up buying a new Tacoma a couple of years ago after going through the same thing. Interest rate was better on a new one, and dealing (with a friend who works at the dealership) at the end of the month I paid about $3500 more OTD for a brand new one over what similarly equipped used ones (3-4 years old, 30k-40k miles) were going for. After interest rate differences and figuring a warranty was worth a little, I thought it was worth it. Oh, and ATRAC lol.

Now... wishing I'd bought a gas sipper daily driver and beater dedicated off road rig, both used. That's a whole different discussion I've loved the Taco though.

2004 UZJ100 - stockish for the time being.
Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Sold - 2010 Tacoma, lifted, locked, armored