View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Both the S100 & G12 have only 5x optical zoom lenses. I don't see either replacing a DSLR. Those may have great image sensors but are basically really nice point and shoot units. I have that with my little Nikon.

The XS40 hs has a 35x optical or the equivalent of a 24-840mm old school lens. I can see this as a valid replacement for a DSLR in the terms of zoom capability. I'm sure there are other short comings but I want the "big Lens" feature. And then the ability to have aperture like controls or whatever they are called in the digital world.

I just don't want to be where I was with my old 35mm Cannon Rebel where I hauled around 3 lenses all the time with a dozen filters and all the other crap.

But if I have to go DSLR I will. I just don't want to deal with it. Especially the dirt in the camera part when changing lenses. That sucks.
If you're looking for single solution mega zoom, particularly out to beyond 300 or even 400mm, that Canon is probably your best bet.

In a DSLR the compromises involved in manufacturing a lens that sweeps more than 300-and-change millimeters, while covering an APS-C or full frame sensor, and not having heinous distortion or sharpness issues, make it nearly impossible to do a good quality wide to super-telephoto lens. About the only options are an 18-200, 28-300, or 80-400 from various manufacturers.

That said, the Nikon 18-200 is a fantastic lens, both in terms of absolute quality, as well as bang for the buck. I've had one for almost 4 years, and it is a rock solid performer. It sounds like you're looking for something a little longer though.

2004 UZJ100 - stockish for the time being.
Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Sold - 2010 Tacoma, lifted, locked, armored