View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by nakman View Post
You know I've been in trucks that are both ways, and I prefer it down by the shifter. Downside is yes you have to take your eyes off the road a little more, but honestly it doesn't happen that often on the highway- happens more when you're in low range and it's nbd to stop for a second. Few other benefits:

- allows your passenger to fiddle with the radio easier. Or allows you to fiddle with the radio easier, while someone else drives.
- allows you to rest your hand on something (like the shifter) which improves your dexterity at the finger tips. I have struggled making fine adjustments to squelch and volume when my hand is overhead, easier when it's down low.
- also once you know what button you're pressing, you can leave your hand rested there for a second and resume watching the road- not as easy when your hand is overhead, which requires you to watch what you're doing on the radio more.

It's all personal preference... but I wanted to toss this out there since there are a few guys about to do installs.

I've got my HF rig down on the console behind the shifter where I can rest my hand on it while my arm is on the arm rest. It's way easier to fine tune the tuning dial than if my arm was totally unsupported.

2004 UZJ100 - stockish for the time being.
Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Sold - 2010 Tacoma, lifted, locked, armored