View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I learned today from Motocomm that FGL-559 would be the correct system for your Yaesu VX-7R. The VX-3R would be the FGL-558 system. the difference is the plug that goes into the radio, one is waterproof for the VX-7, the other not so much. I went ahead and ordered the kit, with the plug for each HT... will do a little documenting once it all gets here.
The connector for the VX-1/2/5 has the same pin out as the VX-6 and VX-7, although the connectors are slightly different. The VX-7 has a screw-in base that retains the waterproofing which means its body is narrower. If you use an accessory designed for the VX-5, for example, you have to shave the connector body to make sure it sits down far enough into the VX-7 connector, otherwise the plug does not insert far enough and you can short VCC to the shield or mic.

I personally cut off the VX-5 type connector and solder on the correct one, you can get them from Mouser and other places, both with and without a pigtail. It's also possible to use 4-conductor phone connectors with molded bodies designed for iPhones.

FWIW, I didn't dink with the PTT and just used VOX on the VX-7, which is why ambient wind noise is a major concern for me.

Kobiconn 4-conductor 3.5mm plug:

Kobiconn with molded pigtail:

Argent's raw cables (slightly cheaper than buying a CT-91 to cut up):

4 pin:
Tip: Speaker
Ring1: Data/VCC
Ring2: Mic/PTT
Sleeve: GND

Tip - Mic/PTT
Ring - Data
Sleeve - GND

Tip - Speaker
Ring - NC
Sleeve - GND
'91 Pickup - Imelda
'08 Tacoma TRD - Donna
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein