View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Try to find a way to make the trail YOUR trail, to leave YOUR impression. Do you know stories to tell about the area? (Think, Cheeseman and Elephant Hill - hard act to follow).

What do you want to be the general goal of the run? I know, finish the trail in one piece and have a good time doing it - but this can take form as you meet the participants. Maybe you have several guys who just got 80s or FJCs and this is the toughest trail they have tried - then the goal might be, to engender a teaching atmosphere and train for success and encouragement. Maybe everyone is quite experienced- then maybe the goal is to tell stories and have fun that way. Maybe you got a bunch of young pups and the goal is to give them a few TreadLightly! principles, like sharing the trail and being super hospitable to mountain bikers. Whatever, involve the group in shaping the goal. You might even ask each person what they hope to accomplish that day. Kinda like setting expectations. Even asking gets people thinking, kinda provides direction and personal involvement.

One thing I try to do is have a tradition. For Cliffhanger I would always bring ice cream on dry ice for lunch and surprise the group. Usually hot at lunch, so it is a great surprise.

Make the trail YOURS.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.