Thread: oil changes
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

For you guys running the newer vehicles and synthetic oil, I think you're wasting money changing at 5K miles. I run dino 15W-40 in my diesel (and they are dirty) and then I do oil tests via Blackstone. I can routinely run 10K on the diesel and the oil reports show that the particulates are low and all of the oil additives are still at about 50% of fresh oil, well within tolerances.

I do change the oil once a year in the 40 simply because it doesn't get that many miles on it.

I use Valvoline 5W-40 Synthetic in the Porsche and also do oil analysis on it. The report shows I could easily go to 15K with my driving profile (lots of hwy, very little city) and still be safe.

You should do a Blackstone analysis next time you change your oil to baseline where your engine is at. Then if you change your oil again at 5K and the report says you could go to 10K or 12K you will know you are safe to go longer. It will also tell you what kind of shape the engine internals are in using base metal analysis, etc. It's $25 to get the analysis done. Once you've done the initial baseline then you only need to do the analysis every 2nd or 3rd oil change to track engine wear.

My most recent oil analysis is attached if you want to see the type of info you get back.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 06 911 CARRERA S-030912.pdf (17.3 KB, 45 views)
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang