View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Speedometer weirdness

Things seem slow these days, so let's spice it up

A couple years back my speedo died. It wasn't the first time, and the first time it happened it was the cable that broke so I figured it would be the same thing this time. Well so after a couple of years I finally get around to replacing the speedo cable (thanks AHorseThief! ) and lo and behold - it works!

For a little bit.

After a while of driving (usually at highway speeds, but not always), all of the sudden the needle will drop to nothing.

But then after driving a little longer, or changing speeds like going on the trail, it'll come back up again. And then it'll drop. And then it'll register 15-20 when I'm doing 45-50. And then it'll die again. And then after I've let it sit for a couple weeks and drive it around on the street again it works fine.

How can that be!?!?!?!?

It's as tight as I can get it without cutting my fingers (why is that thing so freakin' sharp!?!?!?), it's screwed all the way in to the speedo housing, so I can't think of anything else it could be, unless it's internal to the speedometer or internal to the speedo housing, which could both be possible. I guess that's where it's likely to be, I just can't think that those nylon gears could slip enough to slip sometimes, but then still have enough to grab and hold sometimes. Strange.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD