Thread: Freeride/DH?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Lifted

Getting into freeride/dh around here is a very very good idea. I've been a season pass holder at winter park for four years, and the place has taken off the last couple of years offering up a ton of trails of almost every style and type. Not to mention Sol Vista, Anglefire, keystone and others for when you want something different.

That Norco would definitely get your feet wet, but it is a pretty low-end build package and only a 6" travel bike. you'll definitely be left wanting to upgrade about everything if you ride it a lot. but, it is a solid frame from a good company and will get your started if thats all you can invest. save some cash for that winter park season pass

I ride a transition bottlerocket, 6" in the front and 5.5" in the back. its an awesome freeride bike and i ride everything with it, but it is seriously lacking when things get steep, super fast or super rocky. its perfect for jump trails like "rainmaker" where it feels more like a super duper dirtjump bike. i also do a lot of dirtjumping so that works well for me.

but... when i ride the steep, rocky or mega fast trails, the geo and short travel leaves you VERY VERY little margin for error, if you get off the line or make a mistake be ready for a quick launch over the bars.

as a short travel FR bike, i've tried to make it a 'do all' machine by running an adjustable seatpost and hammerschmidt, but its not panned out to make too much sense. to survive a day at a resort, I have to run 2.5" DH tires that bring my weight to 42 pounds. post season i can swap to lightweight tubeless tires and drop it to 34 pounds. mostly i just ride my 29er instead.

if i wasn't spending all of my money on other things (new house... heep... lawyers...) i would buy a 7" travel free ride specific rig or an 8" travel world cup downhill type rig and swap the bottlerockets parts over to a covert frame for use as a fun 'all mountain' rig.

If i was to make a recommendation for the best lift serviced freeride bike for the front range, i'd say go with a Transition TR250.

or... since we only have about a 4 weeks of downhill ridding left, why don't you just join me at winter park and i can get you a 50% discount on a rental or demo bike, and you can try some stuff out.

metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.