View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Broken 80 series radius arm hanger

So now that the family is gone, I finally had time to start breaking down the 80 today to access the damage.

I had an occasional death wobble since mid July this summer. Then 3 weeks ago my axle housing started dropping a mixture of 90wt and moly grease from the passenger side radius arm hanger. I feared a large crack had developed in the axle tube.

After breaking it down today it looks like I may be able to repair the housing with the addition of some caster correction plates to re-enforce the hangers. Glade I did not jump the gun and order a new housing.

Looks like filling the hole should be easy. When the hanger broke off it pulled some of the axle tube weld with it causing the leak. Then its just a matter of lining up the hanger, tack, and install the caster correction plates in as well. Maybe ad some additional gussets? We'll see. I'll pull the caser correction bushings out of the radius arms and install new OEM bushings. I have a set of 30mm lift spacers on the shelf. That will take me to 3"+ lift overall. Caster should be OK. More is better than less, I figure.

Pics of the damage. Will post up progress as the repair proceeds.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 09-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.