View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Update: She took it to a shop today, and they verified that it is indeed running on only 3 cylinders, they pulled the #4 plug wire and observed no change to idle. They also observed a good strong spark there.

So I guess the next step is to pull the injector connector and ohm out the injector. If it ohms out good, I would guess there is a faulty connection to the injector. That would be super cheap to fix if it is easy to find and get to. If it's the injector itself I still have to imagine that would be a bunch cheaper than a new cat. My recollection of pulling injectors is that they can be a PITA and need a flare wrench depending on how they're oriented and what's in the way of getting a socket over them.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!
Couldn't say on the Subaru, but getting to them is a major PITA, actually getting them in and out isn't hard. The fuel rail(s) might be pressurized, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine to release the pressure. Otherwise pretty straightforward. Replace all the copper crush gaskets and rubber o-rings, don't be tempted to save a few dollars. :-)

Might not be any cheaper than a cat. The injectors for the 22R-E list at almost $200 and the good price is about $165. This is for a new part. Hard to say what pick-n-pull or used might be, get a couple used and figure out a way to test them maybe? I just put a Walker cat on my truck, was about $75 from Amazon. If it's like the 80 with multiple special fit ones, then catalytic converters are expensive.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein