Thread: Shift Cane SST
View Single Post
  #1  
Old 09-29-2012, 06:55 PM
RicardoJM's Avatar
RicardoJM RicardoJM is online now
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 2,306
Default Shift Cane SST

Toyota made a Special Service Tool (SST) to be used when removing/installing the shifter on cruiser. Over the year's I've used screwdrivers, channel locks pliers and too often have made it a two guy affair - one guy pushing the cap down and the other guy rotating with a screw driver.

Today, I set out to work on my welding skills (they still have a way to go) and make a SST for the purpose of installing/removing a shifter.

Here is a photo of a 3 speed shifter (4 speed is basically the same).



That ball like assembly actually contains a spring, half round cap and shifter cap.



When installing you line up the slot in the shifter cap with the dowel pins in the transmission, push everything down and then rotate clockwise so that the dowel pins set in their slot then stop pushing and the spring holds everything in place. Note, some rotate counter clockwise instead of clockwise .

When removing you push down and rotate so the dowel pins release; of course not knowing if your's is clockwise or counter clockwise means you get to try it both ways.

On to making an SST, I started off with a couple of small pieces of 1/8" strap; 1.5" wide and 1.25" long. I then approximated the angle of the half round cap and traced it out on one of my pieces.



I then carefully ground away, frequently checking the curve and fit. I then traced the curve to the other piece of metal and did same.





Next, I mocked up the position of the two small pieces - so that I could determine how wide apart they needed to be to clear the shifter, align with the contour of the curve and contact the outer cap.





I then cut a 2" X 2" square from a 1/8" thick plate.



Next I notched the 2" square so that by small pieces could be bracketed. Using an angle grinder for the notch was challenging but I managed to get it done. With the three pieces of metal tacked together, I tested the fit again. Comfortable that everything was lined up, I proceeded to weld the 4 beads that will hold it all together. Here it is ready for the first full length bead.



As each bead was done, I would check the fit to insure the heat had not warped things out of alignment. It really fits quite well considering my experience, skills and tools.



With all the welding done, I then used the grinder to notch out some grooves to hold the "handles" and wire wheel to clean it all up. I suppose I could make permanent handles, but then what would I use all my extra torx drivers for .



Fortunately the welds did not have to be structurally strong. Looking at them closely, I'm not seeing even penetration and coverage between the pieces of metal.







Now, I've got a better tool for removing and installing the shift lever on FJ40's and FJ60's.

__________________
Ricardo Maestas - Bio Page
KD0CAW
1999 LX 470
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Reply With Quote