Thread: Hot tub wiring
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 AM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 8,474

Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
I would bet a 6-pack that a hot tub install would require pulling a permit and passing inspection in most municipalities.
He'd need to pull two permits if it was a permanent installation, general residential construction (Type 1R) and an electrical (Type 3).

Remember that Denver uses the 2009 IBC with amendments and adopts the Colorado electrical code (which is 2011 NEC without amendment) with one amendment on the service entrance. Not all cities and counties use the 2011 NEC yet.

The wires don't have to be in rigid conduit if you meet length-to-installation requirements. This means LiquidTite is acceptable, which is what I'd do if it's a permanent installation and the electrical was not going to be visible.

You know the city requires home owners to either hire a contractor or take the competency exam? If you want to stay within the law and get permits you can't do the work yourself without taking the test. If you understand how the NEC & IBC work the exams are not too tough. This step is unique to Denver, most municipalities allow you to do your own work as long as you follow the code and get inspections.

But in this case I doubt you'll need a building permit. For pre-fab above ground pools with no improvements (e.g. you don't grade the site and pour a pad) there is no building permit necessary. For the electrical you can use a temporary connection, assuming you fall within the NEC rules. This would be if it's not fastened down and you can use a cord-and-plug up to a length of 15' and have an existing GFI outlet. You might need the permits if there is no outlet close enough.

Now you might need a zoning permit, depends on your neighborhood. Where you live in Observatory Park is not a historic district or anything, is it? Generally structures need a zoning review, but when it's temporary this is unlikely. AFAIK you are either urban-single family or urban edge-single family (we were E-SU-D in our old house, although you might be U-SU-C/D). I don't think you need a zoning permit for accessory structures that are classified exempt or temporary.

DISCLAIMER: This is not to be taken as professional advice.
'91 Pickup - Imelda
'08 Tacoma TRD - Donna

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Reply With Quote