View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm guessing the FJ62 is similar to the 80 series to some extent up front...

It's been awhile since I serviced the front axle but there is play and on the 80 series anyway you have to thread a bolt into the hole in the end of the shaft so that you can pull it out and install the snap ring.

As for the torque specs...I could give you the specs for an 80 series but I'm guessing they are different

Some tighten that inner nut by feel, some using a fish scale, some with torque wrench, etc. IIRC the fish scale method is to adjust the inner nut so there is around 8 lbs of resistance on the scale. The torque spec on the inner nut is in the in-lb range...Don't remember the locking nut spec but somewhere in the 40 range rings a bell? I'm probably way off.

If one the smart 60 owners doesn't post up I'm sure you can find the info on MUD along with probably a dozen or more suggestions on the "right" way to do it
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater