View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Hi Lift Horror stories!

In case you didn't know it's Hi Lift month here at the Rising Sun... so let's hear your best horror story, or recollection of a jacking incident that didn't go so well.

I'll start: was living in Boulder, and my car was a 1980 extended length Ford Econoline van. I had a flat rear tire, and jacked up the back bumper using a Hi Lift to change it. Those lugs were on there really tight, but I had the parking brake set so I was able to really get into it without the wheels turning, and ultimately got them to bust free. A couple of you have already guessed where this is going...

For starters, I didn't have the front wheels chocked, and then genius here lifted the e-braked axle up off the ground. So that van was on the free spinning front wheels, and the jack. Then in busting that last lug free, my weight was enough to push the entire van forward, where I then was able to watch it slowly roll forward, as the jack tipped into the back of the van door, ever so gently lowering that exposed brake drum right onto the street. There was nothing I could do but just stand back and watch.

Thankfully, I didn't do any damage to the drum, and was able to get the thing jacked up again and the spare installed. And you couldn't tell the new dent on the door from some of the older ones. I did learn something about chocking up the front tires that day.

Ok, what you got?

www.gamiviti.com