View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrun View Post
Remington Model 700 in 30-06 is a great all around gun. I prefer the rifles with wood(CDL) or fiberglass stocks (XCR tactical). (I am not a fan of the new plastic stock versions).
308 Winchester is also another pretty universal caliber. It is a bit on the light side if you are going for a trophy bull, but will work wonders on deer and cow elk.
If you can tolerate more recoil then 7mm, 300 win mag/ 300RUM or 338 Lapua/338 RUM are some of the better choices for Bull Elk. They of course all tend to be heavier rifles and have more recoil. Recoil can be a real turnoff and hinder good marksmanship training for beginners so try one of the bigger calibers before you just buy one. Also don't go cheap on the glass. Many people will spend a thousand bucks on a rifle and then put a 100 dollar scope on it. As a general rule the scope should cost as much or more than the rifle.

Hmmmm....I totally agree on the Rem 700 in 30-06 for a all around great rifle for any game in North America. You can find used 06's everywhere and since it's a NATO round, ammo is cheap and plentiful. John's list is good but he left out the Winchester Short Mags. Nearly identical ballistics to their long cased brothers but done in a short action rifle more efficiently. Mag's are over sold to the "bigger is best" crowd and few of them ever are used to make ethical long distance shots that they are designed for! Again, one long gun in the cabinet...30-06 is hard to beat! Scopes, I have to pull my punches as I once was but will never ever be a Leopold fan again. Customer service is the best out there but I would rather have a scope that doesn't need to get sent back! Nikon is my choice for medium priced optics. If they can hold up to what I shoot they can handle normal recoil!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior