View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post

IMO, the 30-06 is a great rifle, and ammo is cheap. 180 grain rounds do fine on even large bull elk.

FWIW, I have never had occasion to take a shot at more than 100 yards in about 10 years, but we hunt GMU's that are usually in very tree'd areas.
Agree with everyone else about the .30-06. There's a reason why .30-06 is so popular. It shoots easy and doesn't break your arm or wallet. Growing up in the North East, a 7MM mag is a little overkill for those whitetail, but still very popular. But, the mule deer out here are much bigger. I've seen a 7MM mag waste a lot of whitetail meat if the shot is just slightly misplaced. And, that thing barks pretty loud!

Shooting a few would really help. Some rifles fit better than others. Being able to shoot relaxed and and confident in any caliber (big or small) is always better than nervous and "flinchy". You'll shoot 2 boxes of .30-06 to every 7mm box and spend the same money. That's more practice for when your knees knock together and you scramble to find that monster in your scope!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW