Thread: I need help
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Photos and notes are your friend.

When I fixed the engine in my truck I'd take a photo or series of photos, then sketch a diagram using tape and a marker to label each part and connection to match the sketch. Just about every part, tube, wire, pipe or bolt had a name and label. I had a notebook full of descriptions, some with photos, others with photocopied pages from my FSM.

I also went through a box of Ziplock bags with post-it notes describing specific bolts and parts that weren't obvious. Don't assume that anything is going to be obvious when you have a hundred pieces laying around your garage. You can pick out a water pump, but you'll sure as the sun rises forget the order of the bolts that go around it. A bag of bolts just looks like a bag of bolts, but a little note that just says "front right engine mount" helps a whole lot. Or if the bolts are different lengths and it's critical (like those on the timing cover, water pump and oil pump on a 22R) I numbered each of them to match a diagram.

You can see the tables and some of the parts I had laid out doing this.

You can paralyze yourself worrying about it so you just need to dive in and start. But don't do it with some organization.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler