View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
So far my elk adventures have been wonderful hikes while holding a rifle That said, at the distances the .308 looses steam, I'm no longer comfortable taking the shot.

For me NATO calibers are what I'm sticking to as they're typically the easiest to source from regular places.

Yeah, I'm comfortable at 300 yards, but I think most shots will be closer or a LOT farther, like across a ravine or canyon. Shooting well at long distances obviously increases your odds of filling the freezer.
300 yards! That is outstanding Drew! You are one steady dude.

I can barely hold steady enough for 100 yard shots, and that is at a range. With adrenaline pumping, and out of breath from hiking a ridge at 11,000 feet, I completely missed at 50-60 yards this past season, though, to assuage my ego, it was a moving shot.

I've made a 100 yard shot (longest I've ever even seen an elk out hunting), but that was leaning the rifle against a tree. Free standing would have been another miss.

Needless to say, I'm impressed, you are a much better shot than anyone I've met before

Do you have a good local place to practice? After last season, I decided I need to be getting out more, as my accuracy has gotten a lot worse since high school when I actually knew how to shoot.

I'd love to find a really private place to go up in the forest, to avoid exhorbitant range fees, and avoid other people all together, but I imagine that is a pipe dream in this day and age.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead