View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Spring 2013 Ham & Eggs Run

This thread is to plan a pre-Cruise Moab radio tune-up. Location and date to be determined, but looking at Saturday, April 13 at 0900MDT.

Tentatively plan on a location on the north side, probably Boulder, Louisville or Broomfield sort of thing. Need to find an open space with free parking and not a lot of local RF. But I'll keep it flexible for now until I see how many people plan to attend. If there is a large south attendance I might move it more central.

EDIT:
Location is CO66 and I-25, approximately behind the U-Haul Storage at exit 243 (you can see that from I-25).
GPS coordinates 40.1999,-104.982358

Previous runs have had the group meet for breakfast if small enough or if more than a couple of ham we'll all bring something for buffet in other years. Doing the pot luck I think works best so unless there's a mutiny please consider bringing egg & ham to eat or share. I will get a pot of Einstein's coffee & bagels.

The purpose is to tune up CB, VHF, UHF and HF antennas and fix straightforward radio problems. There will be basic tools & parts (like connectors, coax), test equipment, a soldering iron. Please don't expect to do a complete installation or extensive troubleshooting & diagnostics on your gear.

I will have a small HF-capable station set-up to operate and demonstrate if there's interest.

This will coincide with a couple of special events. A couple of stations will be commemorating the 101st anniversary of the journey of RMS Titanic. W1MGY will be on the air 1400Z-2030Z (we are GMT-6 in MDT), so maybe we'll hear them and log a contact. Also W4S will be operating on 4/13-4/14 1400Z-2000Z to remember the sinking (it hit the iceberg on the 14th and she sunk on the 15th).

http://webpages.charter.net/kb1mu/Titanic/titanic.htm
http://www.sevierares.org/apps/blog/...ard-redesigned

Also NI6IW will be activated 1600Z-2259Z for an event. NI6IW is the USS Midway (CV-41), Decommissioned 1992, San Diego. The event highlights the creation of the Navy Chief Petty Officer Grade on April 1, 1893. Don't have much additional information on the event.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 04-10-2013 at 06:56 AM.