Thread: Moab Camp Sites
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Is there something in Moab your specifically going for? Otherwise I'd personally consider heading further south or west and avoid the Moab crowds. There are not many secrets left in the Moab area for camping. I think the suggestion of Behind the Rocks is probably the best. If you strike out just goto Area BFE.

Lots of hiking down in Comb Wash, like Arch Canyon and far less people. Indian Creek? Or out in the Swell to the west. I love Moab like everyone else, and that's the problem now. No more pulling into Sand Flats Friday night and picking out your favorite spot.
Agreed on no more rolling into Sand Flats. One of my favorite spots is grouping of sites across from Slick Rock, the very northern spot in that group. Great wind protection and some shade and of course Slick Rock across the road. I have done the Porcupine Rim Loop twice starting from that site...that was in my younger days!
I'll have the wife, 11 yo son and 8 yo daughter in tow. Our plan is to hike around Arches and Canyonlands. We don't want to be too far from Moab as we will probably have dinner one night and buy some crap along Main Street.