View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Lifted

I went with the Kenwood TM-D710, what a nice radio. For those not familiar, it is similar to the FT-350 but has been around longer and has a big following. Not intending to start a debate, just offer a solid alternative that has not been mentioned. I made a custom cable, similar to what Dave described, and repurposed on old (mid 1990's) Eagle Explorer GPS unit which can output NEMA 0183.

For normal in town operations low power is fine as other have stated. However, as with any communication, the farther from a repeater the more power you may need. When in the San Rafael Swell a couple of weeks ago my tracking was amazingly good. I did run the power on about 20 watts.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=92

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin