Thread: Timing Cover
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetacoma View Post
I'm halfway through disassembly on a laundry list of projects on my '77 FJ40 and have a couple of questions/want to bounce ideas of people who have done this before!

Here is what I'm doing:
Timing Cover Gasket
Front Seal
Thermostat
Coolant System flush

I pulled it all apart to where my next step is opening up the timing cover (that harmonic balancer nut is a PAIN!). I had a pretty good oil leak and things are pretty oily.
Question: Should I use some type of engine cleaner/degreaser before I open things up? Can I use carb or break cleaner inside this area after it's open?

My next step will then be to put it all together and hope it doesn't leak anymore. I'm not doing the plate Gasket.
Question: Is it a mistake not to do the plate gasket when I have it torn down this far? I can't say for sure if it's leaking or not, it was too messy to tell where the leak was coming from.

Question: I got some Toyota FIPG, should I coat the cork gasket with this or only the lower two bolts? Or get something else completely for both tasks?

Everything else I think I can stumble through. This is by far the biggest wrenching job I've ever done. I have the Haynes manual but I'm definitely a single mechanic.

PS, if anyone has the hose from the smog pump to air cleaner, I'm in need! Thanks!
Yes, clean things up as much as possible before opening the internals to the world. Always. Once it is open, do NOT use spray on carb or brake cleaner. Use rags or shop towels and be patient. Mineral spirits or kerosene on your rags or shop towels is acceptable and called for in the manuals.

I do not know what you mean by "plate gasket". If you mean "Timing Gear Cover Gasket" then yes you MUST use a new cork gasket. They are dirt cheap and not using a new one is...wrong. If you are referring to the cover plate on the front of the engine, there is NEVER any reason to dick around with it unless you are rebuilding the entire motor.

There is NO PLACE for FIPG on our old FJ40s. That's fine on your mother's 2012 4Runner oil pan, but not our old iron. DO NOT USE FIPG on old FJ40s. Regular RTV (I like Permatex Ultra Seal) in a thin coat on either side of cork or paper gaskets on our old iron will help ease removal down the road. Except for the two lower bolt threads on the timing gear cover, and the four corners of the oil pan, no sealant whatsoever is needed for F or 2F engines.

Take that FIPG and give it to someone with a newer Toyota, you do not need it for our old iron. It is bad Juju.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/