View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Nak, I disagree....

Without one the compressor cycles a lot. It'll shut off in between tires, not be running while you are hooking up air hoses, not filling a tank while you are heading to the air up spot, and not holding air afterwards.

Using one gives a nice buffer and gives a huge head start when you pull into the air up spot. also, when you are chatting while switching from one tire to another, it is filling.
Yes you gain a little between tires, particularly when chatting excessively. But once your tank pressure drops the pump cycles on and doesn't shut off until you stop filling- at least that was my experience.

Imagine two guys filling up truck tires with a bike pump. One of them puts a storage tank between the pump and the tire, the other goes direct- you give tank guy a head start to fill the tank until it equals the output pressure of the pump, then start a race. I say the guy without the tank wins, and there's an inefficiency to pressurizing the greater volume of air inside the tank.

Kinda like a 4" water line in your house- your water pressure would taper off pretty quick, right?
82 fj40, 99 uzj100, 06 gx470

97 DR650, 05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50