Thread: Rough idle
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I swap PCVs about every other oil change. I have two, a clean one goes in and I clean the other and set it aside.

Uh, gotcha. I have that sound but I only hear it after I shut the engine off. I'm not exactly sure what it is but my guess is the charcoal canister. Mine is more of a gurgle than motor, hard to describe. It continues for a minute or two and sounds like it's coming from behind the kick panel almost.

I'd still be checking the EGR, fuel pressure regulator and IAC. All of those are motors, sorta, vacuum or in the case of the IAC wax moves a diaphragm anyway. I bypassed the VSV for the fuel pressure regulator on mine since it was causing a funky idle, although running it from manifold vacuum also can make it oscillate. But at least it's consistent.
Some good thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
maybe the coil is acting wonkey? does it have an ignition module?

Did you check all the grounds you could fine?
Haven't checked the grounds yet. Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
The 22R-E has pretty straightforward electronic ignition, it has a pickup amplifier sitting on top of the coil. The ignition advance is controlled by the ECU. To time it you jump the ECU into diagnostic mode and set the distributor to 5*BTDC.

BTW Perry, have you pulled the codes from the ECU? Any others besides the O2? I got a stumble years ago and the computer correctly figured out the coolant temp sensor (in the front of the intake under the thermostat) had failed.
Have not pulled codes. guess I was assuming O2 by the way it was acting.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"