Thread: memorial run??
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
I'll go where others go. I'm not self sufficient as a rig yet. No winch, air, spare parts... So I like the safety in numbers :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotshell View Post
Doing them in the dark? Sounds good. That's why I've got 10 lights on the truck.
At the risk of sounding like a douche.....

You guys seem enthusiastic and eager to get out. That's awesome! I'm not sure how many runs you've been on with Rising Sun, but the club always promotes safe, smart wheeling. You and your truck should be in good working order. You should always carry the necessary gear plus be prepared for survival in case of an emergency. Always know the rules of the area (what's closed/open), stay the trail, be able to communicate with others (cb or ham) and most of all, have fun.

No winch is fine, as long as you don't put yourself in a dangerous position to need one. No air is fine as long as you have a place to fill up after airing down. I used a 12v compressor in a bag before I had a Powertank. Know your truck and know the trail. There is no need to even air down for Switzerland Trail.

Clunks and bad tires are never a good idea. Bald tires equal spinning tires. That tears up the trail and destroys the terrain. Clunks before you go equals breakdowns when things get rough.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but people die from going out unprepared. I picked up a guy lost in the woods off Barbour Fork this past fall. He spent the night wondering around looking for a way out after rolling his mini truck. It was snowing and he was wearing a tshirt and jeans. He would not have survived another night.

I have learned so much from being a part of this club. Being safe, smart and prepared will ensure many more fun trips. Sorry for soap boxing.

If you haven't been to a meeting, or aren't yet club members, come check out what Rising Sun is all about! Don't forget, TLCA would love to have you as members too! http://www.tlca.org/
You'll be glad you did!

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW